11.03.2008

A Momentous Moment: Random Thoughts from Angela

This is the first post I have done that does not have anything to do with Asher! Woo-Hoo! I am making progress here. Incidentally, it will also not have any photos, since, as you have noticed, we only take photos of Asher.
So, I was driving home from work today, normally a 20 min. drive and ended up getting stuck in some crazy traffic jam for over 50 min.! Luckily I was in Paul's car (luckily might not be the best choice of words since the reason I was in his car was that mine was in the shop for a Power Steering catastrophe - which is a whole other story)....anyway, in Paul's car, he has a CD player (I only have a cassette player in mine) and he had made a mix CD which was actually quite good. While I don't normally listen to anything when I drive (another story having to do with Real Simple magazine article in 1999), I was in stop and go traffic and needed to distract myself, so I turned on the CD. Ahhh, there's nothing like a song from your past and being stuck in a traffic jam to get you thinking.
So, I am reading this book called "Living You Yoga" by Judith Lasater (sp?) which is just awesome - even for people who don't practice physical yoga - it's just a great "life" book. Anyway, one of the recent chapters had to do with being present, in the moment and watching your reactions to things happening around you. So here I was in the traffic jam and I could have gotten really pissed and angry and tried to weave through lanes to get 1 minute ahead of the car beside me, but instead, I decided to wait it out, be in the moment, look around me at the other drivers and just chill.
In doing this, I saw some really awesome displays of humanity. A motorcyclist was actually walking his motorcycle instead of riding (yes, traffic was THAT slow). I thought, what a great idea, not wasting gas, not emitting fuel and getting some exercise! He was also talking to the other cars who passed him with their windows open. Then the lady behind me was TOTALLY groovin' in her car (Amy - think Davy Jones). It made me smile and laugh and also made me lighten up a bit because as you may remember from Chapter 10, Verse 5 of this post, I was listening to some pretty great tunes myself and wanted to sing and groove, but felt a bit self conscious as traffic was moving so slow. However, after seeing this lady (mid-40's maybe) totally rockin' out, I started singing and really enjoying the music. Then the Flaming Lips "Do You Realize" song came on, it was just really fitting, if you don't know that song then you need to go find it and listen to it.
That made me start thinking of one of my absolute favorite occurrences - some of you may already know this, it is odd, I admit - when the traffic lights are out at an intersection and there is no one to direct traffic, I think it is totally awesome that everyone automatically takes it upon themself to treat it like a 4-way stop and take turns! I don't know why I think this is so awesome, but I do. It takes us out of our methodical rushing here and there and makes us stop and be in the present moment. It forces us to take responsibility for creating order alongside our fellow man to ensure a safe passage for everyone involved. There is no one taking charge and telling each person what to do, yet as each new car pulls up to the intersection, they have to take part in this display of community and humanity.
I guess that's why this drive home tonight was so thought-provoking as to constitute this Volume of Random Thoughts. So, I think you should all try it tomorrow, try being fully present - especially when it's not a particularly great situation you find yourself in - and see if you can find things to appreciate and wonder about in the most mundane of circumstances.

1 comment:

Carol E said...

Ok, I'll try this again.
If you get this comment it means I finally accomplished another simple -for-everyone-else tech step.
I just wanted to comment about your Ahh...hah moment about living in the moment. As the "busy-ness" of the business of life has us thinking about what we need to do in the next moment, hour, day, week, etc., we often miss the enjoyment of what life is presenting us right here and now. Too often then we do not savor the joy that we can gleen from those bits and pieces of the simple pleasures that surround us. Observe Asher as he immerses himself in whatever he is exploring. children can remind us that that may be a better way to approach life. I wish you many more focused moments. Some of those old adages like "take time to smell the roses" and "when life gives lemons,make lemonade" really do make sense.
Love you, MOM [Carol E}